Madison was founded in 1852 and includes the village of Silver Lake and the village district of Eidelweiss. The area was one of the first to have land grants set aside for soldiers who had served in the French and Indian War. The land covered by these grants, parts of Eaton and Albany, was incorporated in 1852 as "Madison", in honor of President James Madison.
The town is home to the Madison Boulder (43°55′52′′N 71°10′04′′W), the largest known glacial erratic in New England, and among the largest in the world. Madison Boulder is a huge granite rock measuring 83 feet (25 m) in length, 23 feet (7.0 m) in height above the ground, and 37 feet (11 m) in width. It weighs upwards of 5,000 tons. A part of this roughly rectangular block is buried, probably to a depth of ten to twelve feet. It is located at Madison Boulder Natural Area in the northwest part of town. In 1970, Madison Boulder was designated as a National Natural Landmark by the National Park Service.
King Pine Ski Area at Purity Spring Resort
HIKING AND THE MADISON CASCADES
PEA PORRIDGE PONDS
For more information, please visit the town website at: http://www.madison-nh.org